What are Managed IT Services?
When you started your [Trucking Company/Bake Shop/Advertising Company] you probably did not realize that, in addition to being a [Logistics Expert/Chef/Creative Genius], you would have to be a technology expert as well in Firewalls, Web Servers, Switches, CRMs, ERPs, TCP, DHCP (Geeks do love their acronyms…); the list goes on.
Managed IT Services allow you to focus on the products and services that generate revenue for your business instead of setting up and maintaining the technology infrastructure that supports it. A Managed Services Provider (MSP) brings expertise and experience that will allow you to focus more on revenue-generating tasks.
A Managed Services plan with Daedalus ensures your technology is installed and maintained properly so that it enhances your business.
The cost of Managed IT Services varies wildly depending on where you are and what pricing model the company uses. On Average, you are going to be looking at between $85 and $225 per endpoint or user depending on how the company prices their offering.
(we'll give our prices in a bit but first we need to feed the SEO machine... If all you are interested in is price, scroll down.)
Managed IT Services can include a variety of services so make sure to compare different providers with that in mind. One provider may charge more but include services than a provider with a lower price. Make sure that the services being offered are the ones you need. One provider may include Backup and Disaster Recovery in their plan while at another provider, it is an add-on charge. Caveat emptor…
Most providers will price their service either ‘per user’ or ‘per device’ as a monthly rate. This means you need to consider the future ups and downs of your business when considering this type of service. If your business fluctuates a great deal, it may be best to look at a ‘per device’ option instead. When you see this price, you’ll likely experience some sticker-shock but remember; The price you pay is in lieu of hiring one or more qualified IT professionals to do the work.
Consider, the average salary for a Systems Administrator is $63,000/year. Assuming all you need is a Systems Administrator, you would need to have more than 52 employees or devices to break even over a Managed Services plan priced at $100/user or device. Bear in mind, also, that with the Managed Services plan, you are getting access to all the talent the provider has to offer; Systems Administrators, Network Administrators, Helpdesk Technicians, etc…
OK, now the part you probably came here for… What do WE charge? Daedalus charges $100/workstation, $150/Server, $30/Printer, and $100/Managed Network. If you are interested in discussing it with us, click the button below and let us know.
When you subscribe to a Managed IT Service plan, what does it look like? How does it work? Well, obviously it depends (you’ll hear that a lot in answers to this question because, well, it is complicated…) on how the vendor operates but here are some commonalities.
- Providers will (should) do an audit to determine the current state of your environment.
- Armed with that information, a plan is developed to install monitoring tools and other software (depending on what services you get) on your systems and then work with you to implement it.
- Once completed, the company will begin updating systems that need it (missing patches, errors in the logs, etc…) and generally bringing your systems in line with best practices.
- The provider then monitors your environment and looks for events that fall outside normal operations; a hard drive showing signs of a failure, a missing security patch, anti-virus or a firewall being disabled, etc. If an event is detected, they take appropriate steps to correct it.
- When your printer/computer/internet/Wi-Fi doesn’t work, text/email/call the helpdesk and create a ticket. A technician will work to resolve the issue and let you know when it is done so you can verify the broken thing is now working.
- When you want to upgrade your computer’s operating system, install a new printer, or install a new program… text/email/call the helpdesk and they will assist you.
If you think of a Managed IT Services plan as having an IT department without actually having an IT department, you’ve got it. Consider this, if you hired a quality Systems Administrator, he (or she) will work very hard to get everything running smoothly and, at some point, will have nothing to do but monitor the system. He will still draw the same paycheck as when he was working hard to get things in order but now you’re paying him to surf the web and maybe read IT Blogs…
A Managed IT Service provider hires the same Systems Administrator but instead of supporting one company, he supports 10 companies who all basically share the cost to employ him. You get all the support you need at a fraction of the cost and he doesn’t get bored watching his 364th cat video waiting on something to break. It’s a win-win really.
Save a Sys Admin from a life boredom and get a Managed IT Service plan with Daedalus.
Not at all. Managed IT Services is the big end of the services spectrum. If you are a small, but growing, business and you need one-off help with a problem, give us a call and we will get ticket created and help you resolve your problem. Our standard labor rates are $108/hour.
What does Managed IT Service cover?
There isn’t any real way to give a generic answer to this question so here is how we do it…
- Hardware support
- Firewalls, switches, printers, workstations servers, etc.
- We’ll manage vendors and licensing so you don’t have to.
- Remote and Onsite Support
- Most things we can handle remotely but if we need to come onsite to get something done, we do
- Dedicated Technology Consultant
- We’ll look at the current environment and make recommendations where we see potential improvements
- Firewall and switch configuration and maintenance
- We’ll make sure your environment is secured according to best practices
- Business Continuity
- We’ll produce a continuity plan and help you prepare for unexpected events
- We’ll provide backups for your data and have a plan to restore it in short order should something happen.
- Applications (Office 365, G Suite, etc.)
- We’ll help you get set up and help resolve the inevitable issue that arise
- You’ll have a phone and email address you can contact at any time to get help with a problem.
- Priority response
- As a Managed Services plan subscriber, you will receive priority ticket routing; faster service.
Things we DON’T cover under the Managed IT Services plan:
- Website development, maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Projects – CRM/ERP implementations and similar, large-scale projects.
If you are interested, give us a call and we’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have.